We are grateful for our lovely followers

Follow on Bloglovin

Google Website Translator Gadget

Monday 2 May 2011

Challenge #45 Steampunk or Machines

Good Afternoon and welcome back to another challenge at Crafty Cardmakers!  We've had a makeover as you can see to give us a fresh new look and we also gave the Spotlight Challenge a makeover too, pop over and see what's going on there too!

Firstly Thank you for your dazzling array of entries to our Royal Wedding challenge, lots of red, white and blue going on there!  Did you all watch on Friday, wasn't she stunning!  I've also learnt what a fascinator is and am still laughing about Princess Beatrice's lol!

We're also changing when we post winners so winners of Royal Wedding will be posted weekend of 14th/15th May.

Don't forget to check the rules as we have changed them recently, they are in the tab above!



CHALLENGE 45 - STEAMPUNK or MACHINES

Ei has chosen the theme for this fortnights challenge and she would like to see Steampunk or Machines!  Before you all run away screaming have a think about this one and perhaps step outside the box ;)  There are lots of free resources available to print out and have a go and just to help you along if you're unsure what Steampunk is simply think Steam = Old/Victorian and Punk = New/Modern or you can opt for the Machines instead.


We are sponsored today by ONE STOP CARD CRAFTS who are offering a £10 voucher for their store as a prize.

At One Stop Card Crafts we have a big range of ever changing discount making and card making craft supplies.
We are always adding to our range of craft supplies which are ideal for making handmade greeting cards, do-it-yourself invitations scrapbook pages, altered items and much more.

Our card making craft supplies include free UK postage, our popular discount scheme and quick service means our customers keep coming back for more.
Our prices are very competitive and this & makes us an ideal place to buy your card making supplies online. Some of our new products include Petaloo flower layers, Ranger Glitter Glue and Martha Stewart Punches.  We also host a regular challenge at http://onestopcraftchallenge.blogspot.com/


Over to the team!





It's my week to choose the theme and I've chosen the twin themes of 'Steampunk' and 'Machines' which to begin with, slightly scared some of my teamies! LOL!
For my project I've made a birthday card for my Hubby Nic in a Steampunk style and with added machines!
Full destructions on my blog!




My project uses a bicycle topper from Flower Soft, I mounted it onto holographic card, added a deep border of Flower Soft, used some angel hair I've had forever. I used some more of my bargain flowers with some pearl brads and flattened bead caps for the centre. I tried to do steampunk and struggled with it so went for the alternative.



Ok so this is my first attempt at Steampunk and I really enjoyed it :) It's totally not my normal style which is cutesy so it was quite challenging. The girl is a digi stamp called "Steampunk Lady Audrey" from an Etsy shop called The Octopode Factory. The paper and tag are from a digi scrapbooking kit (can't remember where its from sorry) I have watercoloured the image. Now the cogs.....they took a long time to make lol I used peel off sticker cogs and traced them onto some shrink plastic,cut them out,shrunk them down, then I put some clear embossing ink on them and then heat embossed them with either bronze or silver embossing.I punched the butterfly and also embossed it with bronze powder and added glitter for its body and trail.Finally added some screw brads, ribbon and heart and key charms all from my stash.





this is my first attempt at steampunk and I must say I loved getting messy making my own papers and embellishments the cap with the pic in and the nuts and screws are painted with enamel paint and the lace and dressmakers dummy was coloured with a tea bag




here is my attempt at steam punk used a mix of papers some tim holtz and the main image is from graphic 45 used tim holtz crackle paint on background and glittery embossing pwd under the main image. the die cuts cogs and heart with wings and crown all tim hotlz die cuts by sizzix i put some cogs and clock pieces in her hair with some paper flowers. can't say i am over enthralled with my creation but for a newbie at steam punk i guess it's ok


Oh boy did I love doing this challenge!!! First I made a lovely Steampunky box using lots of paints, sprays, tissue, stamps and of course Tim Holtz Dies with a little rose from Primark on the top. Then I went to town and made my necklace to go with it. I shall put lots of pics of these on my blog so you can see the details.






This was a real challenge for me! Not only did I not know what Steampunk was I had no idea what to do! So after a few hours browsing the net I came across some fantastic ideas!

I took a bit of MDF Hubby had lying around and just went wild! I used papers, Tim Holtz distress inks and embossing powders and gloss! Dug out my jewellery making stuff and strung beads and bits together, stuck down everything and coloured a wee image I found called Steampunk Lady Audrey with promarkers. Then I added some faux stitching to finish it off.




Well,this is my Steampunk styled card, Ive used a red base paper from the DCWV Mariposa Collection and then all the other elements/images are from the Graphic 45 Steampunk Debutante Collection.





Heres my steampunk Monkey !!! I just loved doing this, really really enjoyed it, okies, My image came from google images, there are loads out there, so no excuses, I used promarkers to colour and then added some chain and some letters, then some misc bits from my tin of odds and sods, then alcoholed some corners. More piccies on my blog xx



I was a little intrigued what I could do for this challenge and then I found a digi artist called Teri who sells her images under the name Delicious Doodles.  I just love her stuff!  Some of it is a bit 'darker' than other digis and she does some fab steampunk designs.  The image is trimmed and placed onto a piece of embossed and sanded coredinations paper and the black and white paper behind is from stash.  I created the background myself with some scraps of black lacy material and simply stretched it over card.  The finishing touch being some cogs made from a template and coated in metallic perfect pearls.




I was also a bit worried by this one and intrigued and was thinking of doing a victorian lady on a rocket but then found I'd given my victorian lady stamp away in my last clearout lol!  Judie pointed me to some freebie links on her forum which then led me to a favourite hangout - DeviantArt so I searched for "Steampunk Lineart" and found this stunner by SUREYA.  You'll find her Steampunk girl here.  She is of course a mix of the very Victorian dress and gun mixed with the very modern chibi, love it!  I've coloured with promarkers and derwent coloursofts using papers from Bearly Mine who have a great cogs one in the Boys Zone collection.


Have fun with this one, we were a bit nervous too but glad we took the plunge!





10 comments:

  1. Wow fantastic challenge - even if I have no idea where to start LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, wonderful inspirations here, all these wonderful cards. My first entry to your challenge I hope I've done it correctly, fun subject too love it. Thanks :0) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [03 May 01:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello i cant get my link in for steampunk challenge .Hope this is ok please can you let me know if its ok or not .

    http://fairiesothercards.blogspot.com/2011/05/steampunked.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done design team and may i just say to anyone who is struggling to back link ,do what i did and print off the instructions in tute ,honestly i cant tell you how many hours i struggled .Print both off and its so easy .Hope it helps someone .Ps loved the challenge ,Fairsparkle x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for the awesome challenge! I've been wanting to try this style...even though after linking my entry I'm STILL not quite sure what it is. LOL! Fabulous inspiration, DT...I couldn't have done it without you! =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved all your examples DT.a great challenge theme.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic inspiration, DT!! Thanks for the fun challenge! I've been wanting to try Steampunk even though I'm still not positive exactly what it is. LOL! I actually posted this comment a few days ago, but it disappeared after Blogger went crazy....just like my post. Luckily, I reposted and named it the same thing, so my link in inklinkz works again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry I got the name of the challenge wrong,I've put it right now ! fab challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poo cannot share my make until tomorrow and it will be too late! Gorgeous examples from everyone, now I know you are here will try to get my act together better. XOXO Zoe

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for joining in our challenges and leaving lovely comments.